Camp Greenwood is owned by Lake Michigan Presbytery in Portage, MI. It is governed by an agency who members are committed to Christian camping and have seen the impact it can make on young lives. Located in northeast Kent County, Camp Greenwood is situated on 4 out of 5 connecting lakes. The camp provides year round opportunities for campers to experience God and His good creation. It is a Christian camp whose mission is to build a community for all ages which encourages Christian growth, models acceptance of individual differences, and nurtures friendships in the out-of-doors as a place for encountering and enjoying God's good creation.
Greenwood's staff are committed Christians who go through an extensive background and character check. Counselors have a minimum of 1 year of college with many majoring in the field of education and ministry. The applicant must turn in a four page application, 3 references, one of whom must be a pastor and go through an extensive interiew process. If accepted as a staff member, counselors go through a 1.5 staff training week dealing with subjects of Spiritual Formation, Child Development Characteristics, How to Lead Devotions, Successful Counseling and Behavior Management. Staff training also covers CPR training, signs of heat exhaustion and water safety. Our Health officer is an experienced EMT.
The 2013 Staff are currently being recruited!
Here is last years 2012 Staff:
- Kim Fasset - Food Service Director - Hi to all Greenwood's Happy Campers. I am Kim Fassett and I am so blessed to be a part of Camp Greenwood. I work 9 months out of the year as an elementary cook in Martin, Mi. I have my jr. high best friend Dawn, to thank, for this job opportunity who lives in the neighborhood where Wes, one of our counselors, famly lives. I was struggling finding a summer job and then my car died and... I cried out to God cause he knows I have no patience. So, be careful what you pray for, cause God is good all the time and he began to bless me. Beyond my over whelemded wildest dreams, within 72 hours of praying to God, he gave me a car, a wonderful job, and an amazing new camp family.
Teresa Larson - Program Director - is currently a junior at Alma College majoring in elementary education and working towards getting her early childhood endorsement. At college, she plays the flute/piccolo in various musical ensembles, is very active in religious life activities, and is a sister and the president of Phi Sigma Sigma. Teresa enjoys spending time working in early childhood classrooms and has participated in numerous alternative break mission trips. Teresa is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Holt and is looking forward to her 15th summer at Greenwood.
- Luna Archey - Support Staff/Counselor - is happy to be returning this summer for her 12th year at Camp Greenwood and second summer on staff! She graduated this year from Eaton Rapids High School where she was President of Interact Community Service Club, Yearbook Editor/Photographer, Secretary of National Honor Society, Student Council member, and on the Track & Field and Cross Country teams. Luna is a member of the 1st Presbyterian Church of Dimondale. She has a photography business that provides portraits at greatly reduced prices or for no cost to families that couldn't otherwise afford them. In the fall, Luna will be attending University of Michigan with an undecided major, but hopes to pursue psychology and photography.
Kristen Seymour - Counselor - is a sophomore at Grand Valley State University studying Political Science. This is her first year at Camp Greenwood and she has had previous experience with kids through volunteer programs and babysitting. She enjoys playing sports, especially soccer, and loves being active. She also loves animals and the outdoors, so hikes and adventure are headed your way! Being a part of Camp Greenwood is a great honor and she is ready to be part of the team. She is very excited to share God with campers this upcoming summer.
- T.J. Piccolo - Counselor - recently graduated from Columbia College in Chicago, where he studied playwriting and acting. He will soon be srving as a Young Adult Volunteer in Belfast, Northern Ireland. In his free time, T.J. enjoys writing, playing tennis, and hanging with friends. T.J. will be starting his 3rd year at Camp Greenwood.
- Kyle Huneau - Counselor - is a sophomore at Grand Valley State University studying Communications. He has had previous experience with kids through student teaching, volunteer work, tutoring, and babysitting. Kyle was awarded MVP for a Christmas Day Care event and he was Key Clubber of the Month in high school. It is Kyle's first year at Camp Greenwood and he is very excited to join the staff. He has been playing guitar for about five years and loves to sing, write songs, and play music with other people. Kyle loves hiking in nature and talking about nature. He played basketball all throughout his childhood and loves teaching others. He cannot wait to experience and share the love of God with the campers.
- Robin Lepou - Health Officer/ Water Front Director - is an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B) at Lansing-Mason Area Ambulance and has worked there for over 4 years. Robin enjoys fishing, bowling, camping and swimming. She was on her high school swim team for 3 years. She has played the trumpet since 6th grade. She also worked at 2 day cares. Robin was a co-founder of the Capital Area Presbyterian Youth Coalition (CAPY) in the Lansing area. She attended Camp Greenwood for four summers and is excited to be a part of staff for the first time this summer.
- Jacob Dayringer - Counselor -I recently graduated form Alma college with my major in computer science. I am excited for my first year at camp greenwood, I have always enjoyed working with kids, whether it be VBS at my church or substitute teaching. In my free time I love to hang with my friends, riding bikes, singing, and playing music. Back home I play bass and sing for the worship band at my local church. I am really excited to be able to share my experiences with the kids, as well as seeing what I learn form them!
- Ryan Connell - Support Staff - I love being outside and breathing the freash air. I enjoy wrestling and playing football, well sports in general. I love swimming, biking, hiking, climbing, camping, making people laugh, and laughing at my self. I enjoy doing the work of the lord in any capacity.
- Jessica Brown - Counselor - This is Jessica's 13th year at camp and her second year on staff. She will be a senior in the fall at Grand Valley State University studying English and Secondary Education. She is the Scholarship Chairman of Alpha Sigma Alpha and is involved in Campus Ministries. She enjoys reading, playing her ukulele, and is very excited to be working with campers again this summer!
- Wesley Smith - Counselor - This is Wesley's third year on staff at Camp Greenwood, while previously having back packed through the camp on Isle Royale for four years. He is a senior at Saginaw Valley State University, majoring in Graphic Design. In his free time enjoys writing and drawing.
- Josh Uhe - Support Staff - It is Josh's first year working at camp greenwood. He will be going into his senior year at Grant High school. He is working as a member of the support staff, and enjoys playing the piano.
- Kendall Miller-Mather - Support Staff - This is his first year at Camp Greenwood and he is going to be a senior at Grant High school. He will be working as a part of the support staff.
- Stacie Larson - Support Staff/ Cooks Assistant - Stacie has been going to Camp Greenwood for 7 years, this is her first year as staff. She enjoys playing the saxophone in her high school band and plan on attending Ferris State university in the fall to study arcitecture. She is very excited to spend the summer serving God, by serving the food!
- Monique Verhoeven - Counselor - It is Monique's first year at camp greenwood and on staff. She is going into her junior year at Alma College and is studying Intergrated Physiology and Health Sciences in the hopes of becoming a physical therapist. During the year she is an active member of her sorority Phi Sigma Sigma as well as the service fraternity and the club the united health professionals of alma college. She is looking forward to the summer as a counselor and cannot wait to grow in her faith while helping others grow in theirs.
- Jacob Pixley - Support Staff - Pix has been working at Camp Greenwood for four years now. If you need something fixed he is the man you call. He knows how to play the guitar, and he ignites all the camp fires. He is most excited for teaching all the new staff how to get things done, and teach all the new campers the camp songs.